Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Too Big To Fail or To Big To Support?

There is a movement afoot to shift money from banks that were "too big to fail" and thus, took tax dollars to save them while paying massive bonuses to executives who did a horrible job of managing their corporations, charge high fees, and abuse customers with higher interest rates, and shift them to smaller regional, community banks or credit unions.

While I admit I pledged to move my money for this, I won't need to because I gave up on major corporate banks more than a decade ago in favor of smaller credit unions and community banks that are smaller. I got tired of dealing with Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and US Banks who all charged large fees, engaged in unsavory practices, and couldn't have told you my name with my membership card in front of them.

Since making the change, it is nice to hear the bank person know my name when I walk in the door (depending on who is working that day); it is nice to know they care about my interests and helping me succeed; it is nice to know they give me good quality low interest rates; and it is good to know they are small enough to need my business enough to care about it.

I recommend that you find one near you and enjoy the benefits of having a smaller bank or credit union take care of you. Oh, and yes, I still can bank online, and have all of the benefits I had at the larger bank except I get better rates on my credit cards and loans at the smaller banks and credit unions. Try it, you may like it.

The one problem: I always miss my last bank if I have to move.

No comments: