Saturday, January 2, 2010

Choose to Move

Choose to Move. It sounded like the most important short thing I found on the American Heart Association website to help with wellness. It seems so obvious to say that people often don't even think to say it, but that is the important first step to weight lose and a healthier you: choose to move.

I looked to the American Heart Association because earlier in life, I caught their old program of 10,000 steps a day to get healthy and combined that with eliminating fast food (or at least minimizing it) to lose 35 lbs in 4 months. I plan to do something similar, but I want to get even healthier and create something more sustainable.

However, I am going to start with the very basic. I am dusting off my pedometer and counting the steps. The goal every single day is 10,000 steps, no less. With my stride, that is about five miles a day.

Like any starter, I have energy and enthusiasm, thinking of using 10 machines for 100 exercises everyday, but that only leads to failure from soreness on day 2. So 10,000 steps and training on my Wii Fit is where I will start. The hope is to build up to more exercises, harder machines, but still keeping the fun of the Wii Fit.

The goal is exercise everyday, but not everyday's exercise has to feel like it is work. The first step though is to choose to move.

No comments: